Sunday, March 8, 2026

Name

The only thing I really hate about my name is the confusion it causes for me. I'm already a quieter person, and I don't like having to ask questions that seem dumb to others. So, every time someone is calling out names, I have to try really hard to hear mine. I don't want to miss it because someone pronounced it wrong, but I also don't want to accidentally respond to someone else's name. The most common mispronunciation of my name is Nishika, which is the real name of a few other people. Half the time I hear someone say Nishika, I respond to it. Sometimes it ends up being right, and sometimes it ends up being the actual Nishika. I know it's not technically their fault, especially when it's someone's first time saying my name. But I hate having to be confused about who they mean when they say that name. I don't mind having similar names at all, and I wouldn't change my name. Having similar names is honestly what might have kick-started my friendship with Nishika, and I'm grateful for that at least. I just hate being confused and then having to ask people a question that they deem completely obvious. If not Nishika, the next default name is Nishita, which I don't really get because the "th" sound exists in America. However, there's usually little mistake about who this name is meant for, so it's moreso a bit annoying than confusing. 

Am I really one to talk though? I've mispronounced my fair share of names, even my own.

1 comment:

  1. I remember you talking about this in the bus! I think the issues we have with our names are very similar: is it really a big deal? Absolutely not. But do those little inconveniences build up and are they a bit frustrating? For sure.

    ReplyDelete